Contact Us

This data will only be used by Hassans for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Critical advice to UK nationals living in Spain – register your residency to protect your rights.

Ana Maria Caracao
Senior Associate

Ana Maria Carracao, a Hassans’ lawyer based in the firm’s Spanish office in Sotogrande, has published guidance regarding the necessary action British citizens must take prior to 31 December 2020 in order to protect their rights. 

From 6 July, instead of the green certificate or card that Britons living in Spain used to receive to prove residency, a new photo ID biometric card, known as a TIE (tarjeta de identidad de extranjero), will be provided to those who meet the requirements. The green certificate or card will however continue to be valid for those already registered. 

The Spanish government has launched a new process for UK citizens who have still to register their residency in Spain to protect their rights under Britain’s Withdrawal Agreement with the EU. In a video message, UK Ambassador Hugh Elliott explained, “There is one group of people who must take action. If you live here, but don’t already have a green residency certificate [or green card], you must apply for the new TIE as soon as possible.”

Click here to read the article in full.